Welcome Little Monsters

...

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lady GaGa

You couldn't expect me to start with anything else, could you?!

Ok, so anyone who knows me will know that I have a mild obsession with Miss Stefani Germanotta aka Lady Gaga. I have downloaded her every song, I play and sing every single one of her tracks on the piano. I am in the process of learning her dance moves. If I had her body I would dress like her. When my iPod is on shuffle, every second song is a Gaga one. My Facebook statuses are about 70% purely Gaga lyrics. I quote her in daily life ("if it's not rough it isn't fun"), My alter ego, the 'Kizzy Monster', is inspired by her.

Last night one of my male friends told me that Lady Gaga reminds him of me. I think that was the single most amazing compliment that I have ever recieved (Though I'm not sure that he meant it as a compliment).

I will now attempt to explain my reasons as to why this amazing female forms such a fundamental part of my life.

She writes catchy songs which also have depth.
Generally, I class modern songs into two categories: Pop or Deep. Pop songs are those songs that get into your head for the day. They get you off your feet; you can't help but dance when you hear them. They make you smile. Deep songs on the other hand are the ones with lyrics that make you think. Or incredibly complex chord progressions that sound amazing, but just aren't as 'hookish' (Is that a word? Probably not...) as pop songs. Lady Gaga manages to fuse these two aspects together.


Take 'Bad Romance' for example. It is 100% agreed that this song is unforgettable. Even a friend of mine who doesn't listen to the radio and doesn't remember ever hearing the song found himself humming the tune of this melody to himself a few weeks ago. Upon first glance, the lyrics may seem like generic pop lines. You know, "I want you love; The touch of your hand; You know that I want you, and you know that I need you". However, upon further inspection, profound undertones may be found. This song is about overcoming the fear of love. Gaga knows that generally, finding love also means finding pain/jealousy/anger etc. This song is about knowing about the negatives of being in love, but making the decision to jump in anyway. By allowing her to be written into a 'bad romance' she is allowing herself to be vulnerable, a feat which I feel is gallant.

She isn't afraid of being different.
She teaches people to think for themselves. She is pro-freedom. At the Monster Ball everyone can be themselves. It is a place where we can go and be free and lock the doors to keep the freaks outside. After seeing her live at the end of February I felt like a different person. She was inspirational, almost superhuman in that she gave every single person in that concert hall a confidance boost and the energy to be who they are, and not who people expect them to be or want them to be. Often people say that Gaga is quite 'scary'. I believe that this is a weakness on their part. The only way someone could be intimidated by a woman who's only ambition in life is to entertain and enlighten is that they are lacking in self esteem. Gaga breaks out of the norm and people find this frightening because the unusual can be unnerving for those without fortitude. Gaga is a liberater, and those who perturbed by her are the ones who are holding us captive.

Break the chains. Gaga for life.

Truth, Beauty, Freedom, Love,
Kizzy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment